Its time for this weeks 90 minute drawing challenge. This week its the 1977 film Alien which runs for 1 hour 57 minutes. This week its a pencil drawing...with a difference. This week instead of using white paper and black pencil or ink, this week I'm doing a white pencil drawing on black paper.
So before I get into the results lets go over the rules:
- Choose a film
- Choose a character or theme for a pic
- You have from the opening scene to the closing credit of said movie to attempt to finish this picture related to said movie
- Sketches and layout is allowed but are included in the drawing time. The more you sketch, the less time you have to draw your final piece.
- Once the movie is finished (pencils or whatever medium you are using) down.
Just like in previous weeks I thought I'd go through the tools I'm using for this challenge
- Cutting Board. I use this to tape down my pages. As this board is designed to be cut on it really handles the pen and pencil pressure quite well. Making it so that it doesn't rip.
- Masking tape: Now what I noticed after this challenge is that I was using a very strong painters masking tape. I SHOULD be using artists masking tape which has less glue. It still does the job but its designed to be taken off the page A LOT easier.
- Black Paper
- Pencils. One HB pencil to lay out with the a white pencil to finish off with
- Circle tools
- Gouache (I had white gouache here just in case I was laying out a large area of white-this was not used but looking back I think it should have)
- Brushes (not used)
- Mannequins (not used)
You can see that there are a lot of tools that I set out and don't use. Its better to have them and not need them than to not have them and need them in my opinion.
We oughta discuss the bonus situation
I'm so sorry this photo is alittle fuzzy.
It doesn't look like an S.O.S
So the thing about this challenge is when drawing white on black, instead of black on white, you have to also invert your thinking. the initial sketch here shows the lat out and what areas need to be black or white.
Most Animals retreat from fire.
Here is where I decided that gouache would have been the better medium to do this challenge with. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.
Ash is a God Damn Robot
MOther! I've turned the cooling unit back on! Mother!!!
End of End Credits
What I learned from this challenge:
- This challenge, while it may not have worked out exactly like it was in my head its not always about that.
- Maybe this would have gone better if I painted it with Gouache instead of pencil
- Get a real white pencil, this one broke every time I wanted to put pressure on the pencil it would break the point leaving me with a dull edge.