Wednesday 2 March 2011

90 minute movie drawing challenge: The Empire Strikes Back

Its time for this weeks 90 minute drawing challenge. This week its the 30th anniversary of Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back (which means it came out in 1980-math is fun) which runs for 2 hours and 8 minutes. This week I'm returning to black paper but this time with white gouache.
So before I get into the results lets go over the rules: 
  1.   Choose a film
  2. Choose a character or theme for a pic
  3. You have from the opening scene to the closing credit of said movie to attempt to finish this picture related to said movie
  4.  Sketches and layout is allowed but are included in the drawing time. The more you sketch, the less time you have to draw your final piece.
  5. Once the movie is finished (pencils or whatever medium you are using) down.
In previous weeks I have shown  the tools which I use in the challenge (except for Reign of Fire)
  •  Black Paper
  • Cutting board
  • Pencils and pens (The pens were not used)
  • Masking tape
  • eraser
  • Brushes
  • Take away coffee cup lid (you know why by now)
  • Water
  • Circle and Elipse tools and rulers
  • Remote control and keyboard (for my mac mini media centre)



Plus another edition to the tools this week.


My Anakin Skywalker Lightsaber

Here's a sketch! I haven't done one of these in awhile


The concept for the pic is the Lightsaber battle from the viewpoint of the amputated hand.
And here's some photo reference!



There's a meteor that hit the ground near here.


Just like the Alien pic when you're working on black paper with a white medium (pencil before gouache this time) you have to invert your thinking.

I want proof not leads.


I am starting to have an almost unnatural attraction to drawing kirby dots and I thought that a lightsaber glow (and yes I think the lightsaber was still on when it fell- argue if you will) would look like Kirby Dots.

We can still out manoeuvre them!



Only what you take with you.


OK here's the problem with using a wooden mannequin hand. I real hand has folds and creases that are caused by skin. Trying to place that in and interpret the folds and then invert the way you think about it and then paint it rather than draw them.

I love you. I know


Now what always struck me as weird was that there was a platform on Bespin where the final battle occurs but where does this platform come from? so I made up where the platform jutted out from. I also tried really hard to show that there are two figures on the platform.

I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine


Trying to create the look of the Bespin tube I just used random dots and dashes on the page.

What I learned from this challenge:
  1.  Gouache on black is soooooo much better medium than white pencil on black paper.
  2. My brush work is getting better, but I have a ways to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment