Wednesday 2 March 2011

90 minute movie drawing challenge: Hellboy

Its time for this weeks 90 minute drawing challenge. This week its the 2004 film Hellboy. In this challenge I'll be using the Special Edition of this film so, just like last week, its longer than 90 min (clocking in at 1 hour 59 minutes). So before I get into the results lets go over the rules:
 
  1.   Choose a film
  2. Choose a character or theme for a pic
  3. You have from the opening scene to the closing credit of said movie to attempt to finish this picture related to said movie
  4.  Sketches and layout is allowed but are included in the drawing time. The more you sketch, the less time you have to draw your final piece.
  5. Once the movie is finished (pencils or whatever medium you are using) down.
RULE ADDENDUM:
I'm a HUUUUUUUGE Mike MIgnola fan and have all of the available Hellboy:Library Editions as well as Cosmic Oddessy and Gotham by Gaslight. Because the film is based on his characters, but the more I watch it its more about Del Toro's view of this world.
Hence: ALL MIKE MIGNOLA WORK IS OFF LIMITS. Failure to do so incurs a 15 minute pens down penalty.


A new eden will arise 

At this point I was not sure what to do the picture on I knew I wanted to do a picture with Samael (The demon) in it. So before I started I wanted to find my inner Mignola.


It was bright red 
So I decided to do the picture on Abe Sapien, which I've decided is my favourite character in the Hellboy movie universe. Before I started on the picture I thought I'd draw an Abe from memory. The notes and arrows are from later on where I noticed that my memory sketches were wrong. (Also note the left hand side is the notes I take about lines in the movie (which I should have taken some time stamps instead).


Have you told him yet...you should

These sketches is my study on Samael, which I don't think I pulled off. He's dark and reflective and in the time limit I don't think I go it right. But the Samael sketches here was to get my head right for this character.


Turn the pages please


Well its not cheating I decided to use photo reference. I'm a thin(ish), balding guy so I decided to use myself as a model (thankyou MacBook iSight camera). Enough foreplay, time to get started.


Music Interlude: Red right hand


OK this was supposed to be the start of the image. Buuuuut I didn't like where it was going. So I used it as a layout sketch (I'm wasting a LOT of time here right now-all my extra time is now gone).


Whattya say we work this out nice...peaceful




Red means stop!!!!




She takes it black!




I'm not much of a problem solver




Time: :End of End Credits

A time lapse recording of the drawing challenge can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYOA67_PwAo
What I learned from this challenge:
  1.  Use your time well. Sketches are fine and good but they chew up time you don't have. Spend no more than 15 mins on this endevour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment