Wednesday 2 March 2011

90 minute movie drawing challenge: Blue Velvet

Its time for this weeks 90 minute drawing challenge. This week its the 1986 film: Blue Velvet which runs for 1 hour 52 minutes (psst next week I'm doing a 90 minute movie). In this weeks challenge I'm back to pen and ink, but with a different genre again. Blue Velvet is a post-modern thriller. If you haven't seen this movie YOU MUST RENT OR OWN THIS MOVIE.
So before I get into the results lets go over the rules: 

  1.   Choose a film
  2. Choose a character or theme for a pic
  3. You have from the opening scene to the closing credit of said movie to attempt to finish this picture related to said movie
  4.  Sketches and layout is allowed but are included in the drawing time. The more you sketch, the less time you have to draw your final piece.
  5. Once the movie is finished (pencils or whatever medium you are using) down.
What I learned from last week is that brushes are unpredictable. So...I'm still using brushes but with pen as well. Also I did mention a while back that I would work in A4 rather than A3. Well to show just how much I don't listen to myself...here I am working in A3 again. 
I once again chose to warm up first. This is really important as I pointed out last week. You're moving for 90min-2 hours without significant breaks. Unless you want your hand to shake and not be confident in the work you're doing you really need to limber up.

It looks like the ear was cut off with scissors:
 
So as has been the case over the last few weeks, I have taken the sketch option. Which really is just like warming up but for your mind. Maybe from here on in expect a sketch. It gets your head in the game and ready to work on the final piece. 
What I wanted to do in this piece was show the scene where Frank Booth (played by Dennis Hopper), high on Nitrous Oxide, performs depraved sex acts on Dorothy Vallens (played by Isabella Rossellini) while Jeremy Beaumont (Kyle MacLachlan) looks on.
As has been the case for the last few weeks, I do have to say that I like the speed and intensity on the sketch, maybe over the final piece. 
Please note, I had a spill of my ink on this page (good thing this didn't happen on the final piece). And on the left hand side you can see the notes that I take again (and some notes on a Hellboy/Peanuts comic that I drew). 
OK so not to be a tease here's Hellboy/Peanuts....

She lives on the seventh floor...come on

As this story is a Thriller, I thought I'd try a bit of a Frank Milleresque heavy black and whites a la Sin City. I wanted to put in the Nitrous Oxide mask in the image (you'll see in the youtube that I struggled with this-and struggling is something you can't do with a drawing challenge)


I want to see you get undressed!

Laying out the blacks. Boy I'm so glad I'm back with pens.


It's Daddy you S*&%head...where's my bourbon?!!!



F&*% that S%^&...Paps BLUE RIBBON!!!

You can't see it here, but this is the point where I knew that if I wanted to do the Frank character justice (plus I was still looking into doing the Nitrous) this has meant that I can't do Jeremy in the closet.
A candy coloured clown they call "The Sandman"

I've laid out the blacks using brushes and ink (back with the brushes). So I have to wait for the ink to dry (good thing its around 30 odd degrees celsius here right now so that happens really quickly). So I decided to work on some action lines. I still don't think that this worked. But this endeavour is supposed to be about experimentation.


I love you...but you're gonna get it

O.K. here's where I decided not to do the hand and the nitrous. I am burning through time and its time I don't have as I'm about 20 minutes until the end here.


I could never eat a bug

Here is the final piece. I really enjoyed this challenge this week. No doubt you can tell its my favourite movie and I've seen it way too many times. I think I might break the rules (gasp) and finish this piece at a latter date.


YouTube time lapse movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2_Ik5JVmXs

What I learned from this challenge:
  1.  Have a plan for the piece. That's why you do sketches. But also have a plan for the piece related to time management. If you start running out of time what do you do? Have an idea of what you can change and adapt, with reason to still give you the end result that you're happy with.
  2. Don't be afraid to change your mind. But once you've made a decision be happy with the result. There is no time for lollygaging in the challenge.
  3. Use a movie that you've seen several times. This way you aren't tempted to watch the film the whole time. It's a muse-not a distraction. The moment it becomes a distraction to need to stop for a little while and re-focus. That's time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment